Tuesday 30 October 2012


A reflection on Ecclesiastes chapter 3 vv 1-8

I have paused and considered the words of Kings and courtiers, free men and slaves. I have seen merchants come and go plying their wares, silks and jewels, rare spices and precious metal brooches. I have watched the seasons pass, seen the flowers spring up in the rain and fade in the heat of the sun, observed the cattle fatten and later, seen the roast turning on the spit.

For now the prince is young and strong but, soon enough, he will grow old and weak. Presently the spring is full of vigour and the soil is ready for planting but then will come the harvest and the autumn of the year when the earth prepares for rest.

Today my voice is clear and my eye is sharp but my tomorrow beckons and when it comes, I shall fall silent with unseeing gaze.

Constant in all this is God who waits in the perpetual light of his love. God seems that all through the affairs of man, a balance is maintained. He who is beyond time preserves it for us. He who speaks is beyond our understanding, restores peace after our wars have run their course.

Through it all the silence of God reminds us of our own purpose which is to love our God and obey his commandments. When we do this, we can also love our neighbours as ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment